Is anxiety taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control it no matter how hard you try? Do you experience panic attacks or do you feel like you might worry to the point of panic? When it comes to treating anxiety disorders, research shows that cognitive-behavioral therapy is usually the most effective option.
Symptoms of anxiety can include:
- Nervousness, restlessness or being tense
- Feelings of danger, panic or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or lethargy
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Obsessions about certain ideas, a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past, a sign of post-traumatic stress disorder
CBT can help you identify triggers for anxiety and effective strategies for managing the physical components and thoughts associated with worrying.